Sunday 18 March 2012

Lecture 1


So I realise that I am a bit behind on the whole blogging front, but to be completely honest, this whole social media thing is a bit daunting to a technophobe like myself. That's not to say I am living in the dark ages. I have in fact embraced the smart phone, the wonders of online shopping, and regularly check my Facebook. But when it was suggested that we keep constantly updated on the news via twitter, and regularly blog and share with our peers, needless to say, I had a mini freak out. So only three weeks late (due to recovery time from aforementioned mini freak out), here are my thoughts on the first lecture of Jour1111.

I am not going to lie, I don't know if I want to be a journalist. I just know that I am not very good at maths and that I am too lazy to do law. So with this somewhat blasé attitude I strolled into the first lecture, only to be greeted with a big projection of the phrase "YOU are the journalist". The fact that the 'you' of that sentence was written in red, and everyone was writing it down, made me want to cut my losses and just get a Boost Juice from the union building. But I persevered, and upon seeing the various quotes about journalism as a concept and the ideology behind it, I began to think maybe the regular sized mango tango crush I was thinking about only moments before could wait. The quote that resonated with me the most was the following: 'I became a journalist to come as close as possible to the heart of the world.' Henry R. Luce, American Publisher & Editor. Having lived overseas, even if only for a brief period of time, I learned that there are things happening everywhere, everyday. And I want to know what they are, maybe I even want to tell people what they are. I left the lecture with a few new ideas and something of a smile on my face. Smiling mainly because there was not a single mathematic equation in sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment