Wednesday 13 June 2012

Cottoning on to low cost fashion


I recently stumbled across this article in the Huffington Post, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/11/overdressed-book-elizabeth-cline_n_1587413.html?ref=topbar and a more in depth version from the New York Post http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/books/crimes_of_fashion_bWqYjXdI61cTY6fPndkrMJ/0, and I have to say, it definitely made me question my shopping habits. A recent study has revealed that an average American household spends $1700 annually on clothes, the smallest percentage of income ever dedicated to fashion, and are getting more and more items from their dollar than ever before. As someone who is always on the lookout for a bargain, and a frequent purchaser of low cost goods in high quantities, the idea of shopping differently is a rather alien concept. When broken down however, the amount I spend frequently on bulk ‘disposable fashion’, could easily be saved up and put towards a high quality, possibly even designer item. Do I really need four tops for $30 when I already have a cupboard overflowing with near identical pieces? I have a housemate who works full time, and rather than buy a single high-end designer piece, buys multiple items from her favourite shop, Cotton On. I am not criticizing my housemate or the store here, however the article has made me question her practice of wearing a cheap piece of clothing once or twice and then getting sick of it, thus relegating it to the back of her wardrobe, only to be seen again on clean up days. The constant demand for more fashion more often, has resulted in polyester being the fibre du jour, which is more harmful to the environment to produce, as well as less comfortable to wear than natural fibres such as cotton and linen. The article also draws attention to the ecological impacts resulting from such a rapid rag trade, as well as the economic losses stateside, such as loss of local production and skills. So will I change my already set ways when it comes to buying clothes? Only time will tell, however I know I am not above a moment of weakness, particularly when faced with a Myer sale. 

No comments:

Post a Comment